Guest post by Michelle Hunt from Peachy Palate healthy food blog – A beautifully light grain free sponge. A simple, fluffy, sugar free yet sweet, made with a mix of coconut and almond flour, the end result kind of took my breath away! An easy summer time dessert, the perfect base for some fresh berries, whipped coconut cream and a sprinkling of some toasted nuts and coconut flakes…
The mixture of coconut flour, almond flour, coconut oil, clarified butter and eggs offer plenty of whole food nutritionally rich goodness. Sweetened with Dr Coys powdered stevia, it’s a sugar free treat that’s sure to be a crowd pleaser.
This cake is grain free and subsequently gluten free, Coeliac friendly, and could possibly be made dairy free. I’d be interested to see how it works with just coconut oil though the you would miss out on the rich clarified buttery undertone. As someone who is most definitely more of a brownie and raw dessert fan I was totally taken aback by how delightful the sponge was.
Dressed up just a little I devoured three of the generous slices. My mum, used to my less sweet creations, her palate now adapted found this one particularly sweet and that was having reduced the “sugar” amount by a quarter.
Smitten would be an understatement, I think partially because I just wasn’t expecting it to be my cup of tea. A total experiment, intrigued to see how the stevia would hold up in the recipe and if it could possibly be really pleasantly moist.
Definitely one of the quickest handiest and foolproof recipes to have on standby for Summer barbecues/cookouts! You could flavour it up with different extracts…orange, lemon, coconut…a little zest or some desiccated coconut depending on what you fancy. Whipped Coconut Cream is of course a must; or perhaps some vanilla Coyo would work a treat!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 – 40 minutes
Ingredients (8 – 10 slices)
- 1.5 cups (150g) almond meal
- 1/2 cup (60g) coconut flour
- 2 tsp grain free baking powder
- 1/2 cup (60g) coconut oil
- 1/3 cup (80g) ghee
- 1/3 cup (80g) coconut oil
- 1/2 cup (125ml) unsweetened almond milk
- 3 large organic eggs
- 3/4 cup (150g) powder stevia
- 2 tsp vanilla extract or seeds from one vanilla pod
- Coconut cream, toasted coconut flakes, pistachios, dried rose petals and fresh raspberries to serve…
- Preheat oven to 180C (350F).
- Line and grease a loose bottom or spring form 9 inch round cake tin; line the bottom, grease both the bottom and sides with coconut oil.
- Beat together coconut oil, , vanilla, stevia and ghee for a couple of minutes until smooth using an electric whisk.
- Add one egg at a time, whisking in between to incorporate.
- Add milk to the wet milk and whisk to combine.
- Mix together almond meal, coconut flour and baking powder in another bowl.
- Add dry to wet and fold to combine. Quickly transfer to the cake tin. Mixture may firm up quite quickly but don’t worry it will still be beautifully light. Coconut flour is magical stuff!
- Spread evenly using the back of a spoon and bake in the preheated oven for 35- 40 minutes; until a tooth pick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the tin; remove and serve with suggested toppings or toppings of your choice.
- Store leftovers at room temperature in a seal tight container for up to three days. I haven’t tried freezing this one yet, let me know if you do!
Check out Michelle’s blog www.peachypalate.com for more amazing healthy free-from recipes like this one.
See the original post here: